Box Art
Welcome to RetroTracks
- Remember that awesome tune? We do too.
Home Search Music Systems Artists Forum
Forum

RetroTracks Forum - More suggestions than corrections

rephormat
More suggestions than corrections
« posted: Feb 4th 2016, 9:43 pm »

First off, I LOVE the site. This is what I've been searching for ever since Video Game Jukebox went offline for good the last time.

What do you think about the following:

Click the system name to list all Music available for that system.
Add a track number field to the album view for organizing tracks. (e.g. Doom)

And because I think the site is awesome I have a few questions:

Are you using a homegrown content management system?
Are you storing the mp3s as flat-files or in a database?
What is the easiest way to contribute music?

Thanks for making the site. It's brought back my childhood memories.

-Rephormat
Enverex
(site admin)
RE: More suggestions than corrections
« posted: Feb 4th 2016, 9:50 pm »

Hi, glad you like the site.

Listing games by system is something I've meant to add for a while and used to exist but was removed for some reason. I'll be adding that back soon, hopefully within a week or so.

Track numbers may be a bit fiddly as the tracks are simply alphabetically listed, but it may be worth adding just to make it easier to see where you are on larger collections so I'll look into doing that.

Regarding the site itself, I wrote everything myself from scratch including the forum (which I only very recently rolled out, hence the notice on the front of it possibly being buggy at the moment). Nothing is off-the-shelf. :)

The music files are hashed and spread across lots of different folders based on the first few digits of the hash. This means there's never too many files in any one folder. The hash itself is stored in the database along with all the rest of the info for each track.

Contributing to the site, that's one of those things that it depends on at the time. Generally my biggest issue is I need people to recommend new content to add, as I'd rather not just add random games in case no-one's interested in that game at all. The other time I may need help is either tracking down source content for obscure games or finding out who the artists are on certain games that didn't credit anyone properly.

Hope that answers most of your questions!
Enverex
(site admin)
« posted: Feb 5th 2016, 12:25 pm »

Looks like it'll be a bit more work to sort by system than I thought due to how the Music by Name and Artist by Name pages are linked. Something for the weekend!
Enverex
(site admin)
« posted: Feb 5th 2016, 10:11 pm »

Games by system is now available here - https://retrotracks.net/systems

I'll put a link up the two shortly too.
Pages
PREV
NEXT